5 Ways to Keep Your Dog Safe in the Heat
High temperatures pose a risk for our four-legged friends. With wildfire season in progress, it’s important to be aware of how heat affects your dog and how you can keep them safe. Here are five ways to keep your dog safe in the heat:
- Never leave your pet in a parked car: Parked cars get hot very quickly, so it’s important to never leave your dog in one, even with the window cracked.
- Limit outdoor exercise: Schedule walks in the early morning or evening when the temperature is lower. Hot pavement that’s been baking in the sun all day can burn your dog’s paws.
- Provide plenty of fresh water: Provide lots of fresh water around your home. You can also cool your dog off with pet-friendly fruits and vegetables that help keep them hydrated.
- Prepare for power outages: Preparing for a potential power outage is important on hot days. Having a disaster plan in place is essential. A go-bag with bottled water, dog food, first aid supplies, and more is good to have on hand.
- Keep your home cool: Running the AC or fans throughout the home helps keep your dog cool. Avoid letting your dog hang out in the yard for too long on very hot days.