How to Keep Cats Off Countertops
Preventing cats from jumping on the counter can seem like a tricky business. In general, cats will go where they want to go, with little regard to your household rules. However, there are some steps you can take to discourage your cat from counter surfing.
- Invest in a Tall Cat Tree: Cats love to climb! Providing a tall cat tree for your cat can provide an alternative climbing space for them to reduce the amount of time they spend jumping up on your counter.
- Clicker Training: Try clicker training your cat. Teaching them to “come” allows you to call them over whenever you see them on the counter. Or you can teach them “off” so they know to jump off the counter when you catch them in the act.
- Sticky Tape: Try applying double-sided tape to the counter. Cats don’t like the feeling of tape on their paws, and will quickly associate the counter with that feeling. You can remove the tape once they’ve stopped trying to jump up there.
- Aluminum Foil: If you don’t want to use tape on your counter, try laying some aluminum foil down. The feeling of the foil on their paws will deter your cat from jumping up there.
- Deterrent Sprays: There are a number of motion-sensing deterrents that release a quick spray of air or a spritz of citrus scent when your cat jumps on the counter. This can safely teach them that they shouldn’t hop up on the countertop.
Is your cat jumping on the counter to avoid other pets in the house? Check out how to make your cat more comfortable around your dog if your cat is jumping on the counter because they’re afraid of the dog.